Friday, February 23, 2018

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #102


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  


Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 1) by Frank Herbert



A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.  This every sister of the Bene Gesserite knows.  To begin your study of the life of Maud’Dib, then, take care that you first place him in his time born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emporer, Shaddam IV.  And take the most special care that you locate Maud’Dib in his place; the planet Arrakis.  Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place. 

FROM “MANUAL OF MAUD’DIB”
BY THE PRINCESS IRULAN

In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone to visit the mother of the boy, Paul..
My Thoughts:  I originally read this book 30 some years ago - yes I'm that old - when the movie first came out.  I recently rewatched the movie and decided to re-read the book.  The beginning is not like the movie and I actually like the beginning of the book better.  Also, this is the cover the paperback had when I read it the first time - the cover has changed numerous times since the book was first published in the 1960's.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Dune by Frank Herbert – about 56% on Kindle):  

Paul stood beside Chani in the shadows of the inner cave.  He could still taste the morsel she had fed him – bird flesh and grain bound with spice honey and encased in a leaf.  In tasting it he had realized he never before had eaten such a concentration of spice essence and there had been a moment of fear. He knew what this essence could do to him – the spice change that pushed his mind into prescient awareness.  


My Thoughts:  For some reason I am having a difficult time re-reading this book.  It seems to be dragging for me and I'm about ready to pull my hair out.  The book is much better than the movie but it is very slowly paced and I find myself liking Paul less in the book than in the movie.  

So what do you think? Do the teasers tempt you? Don’t forget to leave your link below and to link up at Freda’s Voice.





About Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 1) by Frank Herbert


Frank Herbert’s classic masterpiece—a triumph of the imagination and one of the bestselling science fiction novels of all time.

Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides—who would become known as Muad’Dib—and of a great family’s ambition to bring to fruition humankind’s most ancient and unattainable dream.

A stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune won the first Nebula Award, shared the Hugo Award, and formed the basis of what is undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.  



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading this one years ago and enjoying it. I didn't care for any of the sequels though. This week I am spotlighting Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another one I'd like to re-read and review this time round! Great snippets.

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2CgXiSz

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A classic I've never read but would like to. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book yet, even though I've heard about the movie. I hope you're enjoying this book!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one. I have both a print and audio copy, and just need to work up the motivation to read/listen to it. I saw the movie years ago and remember liking it. My husband seems to think I will like it, and he tends to be right on about stuff like that. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete