Friday, March 3, 2017

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 -#71


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, Book 1) by Nicola Upson



Had she been superstitious, Josephine Tey might have realized the odds were against her when she found that her train, the early-morning express from the Highlands, was running an hour and a half late.  

My Thoughts:  I love historical mystery books and this looks like a good series - going to be reading it this weekend.    

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson – about 56% on Kindle):  

"You know, after the war he could hardly bear to look at it any more," she said , her eyes still on the painting.  " I suppose it's not right to mourn such a thing when so many people didn't come back at all, but it seems to me that the loss of a sense of beauty is as tragic as the loss of life." 


My Thoughts:  Since I haven't started reading this yet, I'm obviously not this far but I have to agree that not being able to appreciate beauty is a tragic loss - whether it's art, reading or something else.


So what do you think?  Do the teasers tempt you? Have you read this series? Don’t forget to leave your link below and link up at Freda’s Voice





About An Expert in Murder (Joephine Tey, Book 1) by Nicola Upson


March 1934. Revered mystery writer Josephine Tey is traveling from Scotland to London for the final week of her play Richard of Bordeaux, the surprise hit of the season, with pacifist themes that resonate in a world still haunted by war. But joy turns to horror when her arrival coincides with the murder of a young woman she had befriended on the train ride—and Tey is plunged into a mystery as puzzling as any in her own works.

Detective Inspector Archie Penrose is convinced that the killing is connected to the play, and that Tey herself is in danger of becoming a victim of her own success. In the aftermath of a second murder, the writer and the policeman must join together to stop a ruthless killer who will apparently stop at nothing.




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

13 comments:

  1. This one sounds great. I'm going to add it to my goodreads TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this one! I don't read a lot of historical fiction, but I'm always up for a mystery. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like this one has some metafiction aspects as well.

    Although I had to smile at the first line, because in my experience trains are usually late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Historicals aren't my favorite mysteries, but this does sound good. Thanks for sharing with us! I'd love for you and your readers to check out my BB and 56 . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsRTD

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound like one I would enjoy too. I'll have to add it to my wishlist. This week I am featuring Justice Calling by Annie Bellet. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poignant 56!! Love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stylish cover appeals to me. I'd keep reading to find out why the late train was an indication of bad things to come.
    My Friday post features The Other Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure does sound good and I like th title and cover.

    My Friday 56 from Through Glass

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing and for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait a minute -- is the heroine of this series actually Josephine Tey, the author of Golden Age mystery novels? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Tey What a cool idea!

    Thanks for posting on BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria, I adore the cover on this one! So nice. And your Friday 56 is beautiful and touched me a lot this morning. The loss of a sense of beauty.... How beautiful. I've read The daughter of time by Josephine Tey, will have to look into some more of her work it appears. Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one sounds so great! I am always looking for more mysteries so definitely adding this series to my TBR! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete