Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #27


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, Book 11) by Jacqueline Winspear


Arturo Kenyon stood in the shadows of a whitewashed building opposite a small guesthouse known as Mrs. Bishop’s, though it had no sign to advertise the fact.  He was waiting for a woman who had taken a room under the name Miss M. Dobbs to emerge. 


My Thoughts:  All this really tells me is that someone is waiting to see someone walk out of a house – the interesting thing to note here though is that the woman is going under the name “Miss M. Dobbs” and at the end of the last book, Maisie had agreed to marry Viscount James Compton, so there is a question of what is going on at this point.   

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (from 56% of Kindle version of A Dangerous Place ): 
Despite her fear of being in a place that was dank, dark, and musty, Maisie knew she must return to the cave where she had seen Miriam Babayoff and Aurturo Kenyon.  If there was something untoward going on- and if nothing else, a man in a cave was untoward- then it would happen at night.


My Thoughts:  I’m not keen on going into caves that are not well lit either – I will go into a cave if it’s a part of a tour but otherwise I would have to pass. 

What do you think?  Keep reading or not? Don’t forget to leave your link below and link up at Freda’s Voice.





About A Dangerous Place (Maisie Dobbs, Book 11) by Jacqueline Winspear

Four years after she set sail from England, leaving everything she most loved behind, Maisie Dobbs at last returns, only to find herself in a dangerous place . . .  

In Jacqueline Winspear‘s  powerful story of political intrigue and personal tragedy, a brutal murder in the British garrison town of Gibraltar leads Maisie into a web of lies, deceit, and peril.

Spring 1937. In the four years since she left England, Maisie Dobbs has experienced love, contentment, stability—and the deepest tragedy a woman can endure. Now, all she wants is the peace she believes she might find by returning to India. But her sojourn in the hills of Darjeeling is cut short when her stepmother summons her home to England; her aging father Frankie Dobbs is not getting any younger.

But on a ship bound for England, Maisie realizes she isn’t ready to return. Against the wishes of the captain who warns her, “You will be alone in a most dangerous place,” she disembarks in Gibraltar. Though she is on her own, Maisie is far from alone: the British garrison town is teeming with refugees fleeing a brutal civil war across the border in Spain.


Yet the danger is very real. Days after Maisie’s arrival, a photographer and member of Gibraltar’s Sephardic Jewish community, Sebastian Babayoff, is murdered, and Maisie becomes entangled in the case, drawing the attention of the British Secret Service. Under the suspicious eye of a British agent, Maisie is pulled deeper into political intrigue on “the Rock”—arguably Britain’s most important strategic territory—and renews an uneasy acquaintance in the process. At a crossroads between her past and her future, Maisie must choose a direction, knowing that England is, for her, an equally dangerous place, but in quite a different way.




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

20 comments:

  1. I swear I will eventually some day sooner or later start this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think what is going when reading the excerpts. I love the cover art. And the synopsis has me intrigued to see what this is about.

    Danica @ A Redheaded Bookworm
    Burial Rites

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to give this series a try. This week I'm spotlighting The Obsession by Nora Roberts. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued by books set in this era, so this is definitely a book and series I'd enjoy. Love the retro look of the cover too.
    My Friday post features LONGSHOT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely curious about this one! I really enjoyed the first few Maisie Dobbs books and would like to go back and restart the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've meant to start this series but reading so many already. Yes, a man in a cave is untoward:)

    My 56 from A Monster Calls

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read the first one!! It's waiting so patiently on my Kindle. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment on my book beginnings post; I like the Maisie Dobbs series and have read A Dangerous Place. I will follow you on bloglovin.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would need to read more to get a better feel for the book. That said, I am familiar with the character and the series so that would make me keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not my usual genre, but I've been told multiple times that I need to start this series. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read one book in this series and enjoyed it, so I am curious...and want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the 56! I don't think anyone could get me into a cave even if it was part of a tour! They seem kind of creepy, and there are bats and bugs and who knows what else *shivers*. Nope, not for me. glad you're enjoying this series, I actually don't think I've ever heard of it before. Sounds interesting though. Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always been curious about the Maisie Dobbs series and your 56 has me even more so. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maria,

    I wonder if you have read any of the previous books in the series, as I should be interested to know if they work well as stand alone stories, or if they need to be read in sequential order.

    I had one of the books from the series, I'm not sure which one now, donated into the charity shop where I volunteer and foolishly I neglected to buy it, despite several other of my blogging circle having recommended it.

    The reviews and ratings have been a little mixed, with many readers feeling that perhaps the series is close to having run its course. As usual, I am running far behind the crowd, so I am hoping to start my journey with Maisie Dobbs, very soon :)

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading the series and have enjoyed them so far - this book has made some readers unhappy because of something that happens with Maisie but I personally think it's just that the author is using this book as a transition for the character and the storyline - I will be curious to see what happens in the newest book "Journey to Munich" - I just finished this one this morning and I was content with how it ended

      Delete
  15. Not my normal read but it sounds interesting and I love long series since there's so much more! & this is book #11 wow. I'll have to check this series out.
    -Amanda @ Quite Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is one of my most favorite series ever. I'm just about to start the brand new installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to start it this week myself - but might not be in time for next week's bb&56...lol

      Delete
  17. Maise Dobbs is quite good! :) I hope you're enjoying this and hopefully more of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Running behind on my visits!

    I know a lot of people who read Winspear. I haven't had the pleasure yet.

    Your blog is so pretty! Thanks for visiting me at True Book Addict. :)

    ReplyDelete