Friday, January 12, 2018

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #98


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple Mysteries, Book 3) by Carola Dunn



As Daisy reached a second time for the gleaming brass knocker, the dark green front door opened.
My Thoughts:  I'm afraid the beginning really doesn't tell us much.  I've recently started this series and so far I like the books - I have only just started this book and have been at the beginning for a bit because of other things I needed to get done.  This is the current cover for the book - not my favorite. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Requiem for a Mezzo – about 56% on Kindle):  




“Da, fond. Am affectionate friend of her, is right word?”

“A very good word, sir. As you might say, you’re in love.”


My Thoughts:  I haven’t gotten this far into the book, and I'm not really sure who is talking here or what is going on at this point but I look forward to getting here. 


So what do you think?  Do the teasers tempt you?  Which cover do you prefer - the current cover or the cover showcased on the 56 from a previous edition? Don’t forget to leave your 56 below and to link up at Freda’s Voice. 





About Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple Mysteries, Book 3) by Carola Dunn


With dashing Scotland Yard detective Alec Fletcher at her side, Daisy Dalrymple is enjoying a splendid performance of Verdi's Requiem featuring her neighbour Muriel Westlea's celebrated sister, Bettina. But the show comes to an abrupt end when what emerges from the star's gifted vocal chords is literally a dying gasp.

Daisy soon learns that the doomed diva was notoriously difficult and had more than her share of enemies. There's a philandering tenor, a burly Russian bass and even her own vocal coach husband, with whom she had a turbulent relationship.


Did one of them poison the singer? Or was it someone determined to see that Daisy's investigation ends on as bitter a note as Bettina's last performance . . .



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to start in on this series, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very dramatic cover! Yes, the series does look great!
    Here is my Friday56 and Book Beginning ; https://wp.me/pEZs7-x5d
    Have a lovely weekend. May your books be with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good mystery. I haven't read any of the series yet but they have been on my wishlist for a while. This week I have A Merciful Secret by Kendra Elliot - one from my review stack. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good snippets! I prefer the first cover too! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cover, and those excerpts have piqued my curiosity. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by the snippets. I think I read the first book in this series a while back. I'm going to double check and then get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria,

    One of my fellow book blogging friends has read all of this series right from the beginning and keeps trying to persuade me to join her on the journey.

    However, as Carola is now up to book 23 in the series, I seriously think that for me to catch up, is just one challenge too far! - But of course I would keep reading, if I had the book in my hand and those were the first lines.

    The first cover is the most dramatic, but to keep the series in sync with the times, the second option is definitely more appropriate, especially when you see the full suite of cover art for the series to date ...

    https://www.fantasticfiction.com/d/carola-dunn/

    Thanks for sharing and have a good weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like something I would like. I think I like the second cover more, but they both are eye-catching. I hope you enjoy this one! Have a great weekend, Maria.

    ReplyDelete