Friday, September 15, 2017

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #93


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, Book 2) by Amanda Downum



Prologue

496 Ab Urbe Condita (1228 Sal Emperaturi) Three Years Ago


Death was no stranger to Erisin. The city named for the saint of death and built on the bones of its founders had known its share of suffering, but the pestilence that struck that summer was enough to horrify even the priests of Erishal. 
My Thoughts:  I haven't started this book yet, it's on my pile for the weekend. Sounds like whatever is going on is going to be bad! .  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum
 – about 56% on Kindle):  

A cold draft and movement in the shadows made him glance over his shoulder, already tensing to deal with some new intruder.  All his dark-sharpened eyes found were an open casement and a bird perched on a chair beside it. A raven, huge and glossy.  It mantled, oilslick rainbows, rippling across its wings, but remained on the chair back. 


My Thoughts:  I'm looking forward to finding out who is involved in this scene  Not sure who is talking.


So what do you think? Do the teasers tempt you?  Don’t forget to link up below and at Freda’s Voice.





About The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, Book 2) by Amanda Downum

Death is no stranger in the city of Erisín-- but some deaths attract more attention than others.

When a prostitute dies carrying a royal signet, Isyllt Iskaldur, necromancer and agent of the Crown, is called to investigate. Her search leads to desecrated tombs below the palace, and the lightless vaults of the vampiric vrykoloi deep beneath the city. But worse things than vampires are plotting in Erisín...

As a sorcerous plague sweeps the city and demons stalk the streets, Isyllt must decide who she's prepared to betray, before the city built on bones falls into blood and fire.



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

9 comments:

  1. Hi Maria!

    I really really like the sound of this series. Fab cover, too!

    Here is mine http://bit.ly/2vX9rVO

    I didn't play last week as my laptop died. Like Dr Who - it's now regenerated lol

    Luv Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a city to stay away from! I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSOD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great series. I'll have to look for the first book. I'm featuring Sleep Like a Baby by Charlaine Harris this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New series to me, but I will surely check it out further! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also interested to find out what happens in that scene too!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I'm liking the writing and it sounds really good. That cover sure is something too!

    My Friday 56 for From The Grave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to look into this series! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete