Thursday, September 27, 2012

VBT - Blood Memories by K.J. Dahlen



Welcome to my stop on K.J. Dahlen's Virtual Book Tour for her book, Blood Memories.  K.J. was kind enough to prepare a guest post for us today, please be sure to leave a comment or question for her below as she will be awarding a $20 Amazon Gift Card to one randomly drawn commenter during her tour.  You can follow her tour here, the more often you comment, the better your chances at winning. 


~~~~~~~~~~

Writing Murder and Suspense Tales in a CSI World
by K.J. Dahlen 

With all of the television shows on like CSI, and NCIS, I think it’s becoming easier to write mystery and suspense tales. Every day you can tune into a good number of shows, and find the information you need to complete your story; unless you villain is dying of some obscure disease and you really need to look online for ways to cure it. Even if you do, what you find on these shows can let you find the information you need online. You can usually find anything you need online, all you have to know is where to go and what questions to ask.

CSI and shows like this take you step by step through how the police use forensic science to find the evidence, and they even tell you how to connect the dots and find the answers to who done it and why. Years ago, before these shows were available, you had to find someone who knew the information you wanted and you actually had to talk to that person. In this day of enlightenment, all you have to do is tune in to your favorite television shows or better yet watch them on your phone, iPad or computer. 

I’m glad there are shows available to learn things from; I wouldn’t know who to actually talk to about some of the crimes I write about. I certainly don’t know any serial killers, nor do I wish to become one. Sometimes, when I’m not writing, I like to outline a crime and how to solve it, step by step. That way I can look back and find whatever I need.
I like to keep my research in a notebook which is becoming very thick at this point. I may never run out of ideas for new books! 

~~~~~~~~~~

Blood Memories
by KJ Dahlen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

When an accident turns out to be not an accident but murder Savannah must solve a double murder that happened over twenty years ago to find the truth. She was the only witness to her parent’s murder and now their killer is after her. She puts her trust into a man her aunt has known and all these years but evidence soon points to him being involved with the man she thinks killed her parents. Will she prove him innocent or fall prey to his intent? Her life and over two million dollars in diamonds is at stake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt: 

Savannah  was about to walk down the hill to her car when she saw him. He was leaning against a tree not too far from where she stood.

She was sure she didn't know him yet he seemed very familiar to her. She tilted her head and studied him for a moment. Bits and pieces from her past flashed through her mind as she tried to place him, but it wasn't until he smiled she remembered where she'd seen him before. A few years ago when she was coming home from school, he was leaving her aunt's house. His smile was as warm then as it was now. He pushed away from the tree and began walking toward her.

Savannah waited until he reached her to hold out her hand. When he took her hand in his, she had to say, "I don't think we've met before, but I've seen you somewhere."

He smiled. "I've known you most of your life. I was a friend of your aunt's." He shifted his gaze to the disturbed ground of Donna's grave. "I'm sorry I didn't get here in time. I only arrived this morning. When I read the paper, I found her obituary. I had to come, at least to say good-bye.

Savannah smiled. "I remember you. I'd see you leaving as I was coming home. I asked her about you, but she wouldn't tell me who you were."

He smiled. "I'm sorry, my name is Charlie Manning."

Savannah shook his hand. "I'm Savannah George."

Charlie glanced away for a moment then looked back at her. "If Donna didn't tell you who I was, then she wouldn't have told you what I am."

"Excuse me?" Savannah said. "I don't understand. What should she have told me about you?" Savannah was intrigued now. She was finding her aunt had kept a number of secrets over the years.

Charlie leaned back on his heels. "You may not remember me, but I'm a cop from Chicago. We met once when you were three years old."

Savannah felt a chill run down her spine. She lived in the Chicago area with her parents until she was three years old. Taking a deep breath, "I think we should talk, but not here. Let's go back to my aunt's house. I have some questions for you. I think it’s time for me to know the truth."

Charlie stepped back and allowed her to lead the way down the hill. He got into his car and followed her back to Donna's house. The drive only took minutes but seemed longer.

Savannah glanced at the package sitting on the passenger seat. Whatever her past was, maybe the answers she'd sought all these years would finally be revealed. She checked her rear view mirror as Charlie Manning pulled in the space behind her.

Grabbing the package, she opened her door and walked to the front door. Once they were inside Savannah made a pot of coffee. A few minutes later she sat down at the kitchen table and stared at Charlie.

"Ok, mister policeman from Chicago, tell me what happened twenty two years ago that caused my aunt to take me and run." Savannah said.

Charlie studied her for a moment then decided to tell her the truth. "There is no easy way to say what I came here to say."

"Just spit it out then."

"How about the fact that at three years old, you might have been the only witness to the brutal double murders of your parents?" Charlie finally told her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~





AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Kim lives in a small town (population495) in Wisconsin. From her deck she can see the Mississippi River on one side and the bluffs, where eagles live and nest on the other side. She lives with her husband Dave and dog Sammy. Her two children are grown and she has two grandchildren. She loves to watch people and that has helped her with her writing. 

Kim loves to create characters and put them in a troubling situation then sit back and let them do all the work. Her characters surprise even her at times. At some point in the book they take on a life of their own and the twists and turns become the story. Of all the stories she could write she found she liked mystery/thrillers the best. She likes to keep her readers guessing until the very end of the book.

Web site: www.kjdahlen.com
I am on Facebook and Twitter as kjdahlen
My blog is on Facebook at K.J.’s blog

~~~~~~~~~~
Please be sure to leave a comment or question for K.J. below in order to enter her giveaway.  You can follow the stops on her tour here.  The more often you comment, the better your chances at winning.  K.J. will be awarding a $20 Amazon Gift Card to one randomly drawn commenter during her tour. 





6 comments:

  1. I find crime shows with all the forensics a great learning experience & I don't write. I suppose criminals find them useful too.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the excerpt, thank you.
    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you research crimes for your books. I don't watch many crime shows, but I love reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crime shows are intriguing, as long as they're not too graphic!

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blurb and excerpt. I'm a wuss and never read murder books, but this sounds interesting!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete