Friday, October 28, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #56


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

One Night in Tehran (Titus Ray Thriller, Book 1) by Luana Ehrlich



Prologue

In far northwest Iran, a few minutes after clearing the city limits of Tabriz, Rahim maneuvered his vehicle onto a rutted side road.  When he popped open the trunk of the car to let me out, I saw the car was hidden from the main highway by a small group of trees. 



My Thoughts: Clearly whoever is in the trunk must be in desperate need to get somewhere in secret. Rahim is clearly brave because he’s taking a chance by trying to smuggle someone to safety. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.


My 56 is also from One Night in Tehran (Titus Ray Thriller, Book 1) by Luana Ehrlich (about 56% of Kindle version)


Occasionally, in order to maintain my cover, I took a drink, but neither the taste, nor the concept of pickling my brain, held any appeal to me.  When I finished my coffee, I toured the rest of the hotel, making careful note of the exits. Then I returned to my room.  After removing my gun from its holster, I settled in for what I hoped would be a short wait.



My Thoughts: This is a book I got free on Amazon and it’s been on my kindle for a while so I picked it up last weekend.  I’m almost done with it and I’m actually past this part of the book so I know that the person “talking” is the main character, Titus Ray, a CIA agent.  I find this scene interesting because of what he says about liquor and not wanting to pickle his brain – while I think it’s clearly not a good idea for him to drink while he’s “casing” out the place…lol


So what do you think?  Is this a book you would pick up to read? Don’t forget to link up at Freda’s Voice




About One Night in Tehran (A Titus Ray Thriller, Book 1) by Luana Ehrlich


Trained in lies, a covert agent learns the truth

Veteran CIA officer, Titus Ray--on the run from the Iranian secret police--finds shelter with a group of Iranian Christians in Tehran. While urging Titus to become a believer in Jesus Christ, they manage to smuggle him out of Iran to freedom in Turkey.

Will it help him deal with his past?

Returning to the States, he discovers his Iranian mission failed because of political infighting within the Agency. In a hot-tempered outburst, he delivers a scathing indictment against the Deputy Director of Operations, and, as a result, the deputy forces Titus to take a year's medical leave in Oklahoma.

How will it change his future?

Before leaving Langley, Virginia, Titus learns he's been targeted by a Hezbollah assassin hired by the Iranians. Now, while trying to figure out what it means to be a follower of Christ, he must decide if the Iranian couple he meets in Norman, Oklahoma has ties to the man who's trying to kill him, and if Nikki Saxon, a local detective with an intriguing past, can be trusted with his secrets.
Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

7 comments:

  1. This sounds very intriguing! And the main character sounds super relaxed about being in a trunk! I, too would not think it was a great idea to drink whilst casing a place!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my cup of tea, but something my husband will most probably like yes. I like the bits you shared though and also think he should rather stay clear of the liquor. Happy weekend and here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/10/friday-meets-28-october-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! I probably wouldn't pick this one up, but I enjoyed the excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE RED CAR”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very exciting read! I would definitely pick it up! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beginning doesn't move me one way or the other way. I might have this one. So I'm glad to see your post. It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I mystery. Sounds compelling. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this one, but I like the sound of the snippets.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete