Friday, October 7, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #53


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Artifact (Jave Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, Book 1) by Gigi Pandian


The door of the house swung open before I even had a chance to knock. It was almost midnight. The woman in front of me was fully dressed and held a cup of coffee in her hand, which I hoped for her sake was decaffeinated. Her face was in shadow as she stood in the door frame of the San Francisco Victorian,  but the dim porch light must have illuminated all of me down to my toes, for I heard her breath catch.
My Thoughts:  Um….yeah….if I’m holding a cup of coffee in my hand at midnight – I can guarantee that it’s not decaf…..lol.  I do wonder what the speaker looks like since the other person clearly was disturbed by something other than someone knocking on her door at midnight. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Artifact by Gigi Pandian – About 56% of Kindle Version)

     An uneasy feeling entered my mind.  Before the thought could fully form, Fiona walked through the door of the pub.  She walked up the stairs without pausing to acknowledge me or Darwin. 


My Thoughts:  Don’t really know what’s going on here but clearly Java thinks something is wrong.  I’m not this far in the book – I’m still near the beginning and while it starts out a little bit slowly – it is picking up speed and I’m excited about reading more of it.


So what do you think?  Is this a book you would be interested in?  Don’t forget to link up at Freda’sVoice





About Artifact (Java Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, Book 1) by Gigi Pandian


When historian Jaya Jones receives a mysterious package containing a jewel-encrusted artifact from India, sent by her ex-lover the same day he died in a supposed accident in the Highlands of Scotland, she discovers the secrets of a lost Indian treasure may be hidden in a Scottish legend from the days of the British Raj.

But she's not the only one on the trail.

From San Francisco to London to the Highlands of Scotland, Jaya must evade a shadowy stalker as she follows hints from the hastily scrawled note of her dead lover to a remote archaeological dig. Helping her decipher the cryptic clues are her magician best friend, a devastatingly handsome art historian with something to hide, and a charming archaeologist running for his life.

When a member of the dig's crew is murdered, Jaya must figure out which of the scholars vying for her affections might be the love of her life--and which one is a killer. 





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

17 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a good one. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I haven't heard of it before but treasure hunting should make for a great book!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now very curious....I definitely want to know more! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just pulled up her latest book on my Kindle! I'm so excited to read it and I love the sounds of this one. Not sure how I hadn't come across Pandian before as I love Treasure hunt books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great opening. I'm wondering why the visitor's appearance made the woman gasp, and I'd keep reading to find out. I like the book's title, too.
    My Friday post features The Songbirds’ Call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the locations where the action takes place. Hope this is the start of a good series and an enjoyable read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good. I'll be adding it to my wishlist. This week I have Death Among Rubies by R. J. Koreto - a historical mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to read this one. I've enjoyed her other series so I'm sure this one will be good too.

    My Friday 56 from The Appeal Of Evil

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the heck, why is the woman with coffee doing in the door frame?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria,

    If the door opens before Jaya has the chance to knock, it sounds as though she is expected, especially given the late hour.

    It does sound as though the woman in the house is surprised by something about Jaya or her appearance though, so I would quite like to know what that is!

    Maybe this isn't one for my list right now, but I'll definitely bear it in mind for the future, as this sounds as though it could be an ongoing series :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep meaning to pick up something of Pandian's because they look like great fun! Hmmm ... I just got a $5 Amazon gift card so maybe today's the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. (and that may or may not have everything to do with the fact that the second in this series has "Pirate" in the title! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gigi Pandian is a great author, I would go fir it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. if some of your readers are interested, there are still stops available f=to review Gigi Pandian's upcoming book. You readers can sign up here: https://francebooktours.com/2016/09/22/gigi-pandian-on-tour-the-elusive-elixir/

    ReplyDelete