Friday, October 14, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #54


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, Book 1) by Elizabeth Peters


When I first set eyes on Evelyn Barton-Forbes she was walking the streets of Rome – (I am informed, by the self-appointed Critic who reads over my shoulder as I write, that I have already committed an error.  If those seemingly simple English words do indeed imply that which I am told they imply to the vulgar, I must in justice to Evelyn find other phrasing.)
My Thoughts:  Apparently Amelia is writing a memoir and someone – not sure who at this point – is criticizing her chosen words of use….lol…..I decided to do a re-read of a favorite series and have just picked up the first book. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters): 

     Using language no lady could possibly remember, much less reproduce, Emerson scrabbled around in the debris that littered the floor until he found the candle.  He relighted it from his own.  Then he looked directly at me and spoke in the quiet voice he employed in moments of emergency.

My Thoughts:  Well, we women have come a long way in that we now can and do remember and use swear words as well as men!  However, it would not make us ladies in the time period this book is set.  Clearly Amelia has met Emerson at this point, and he does play a large and important role in all of the books in the series forward. 

So what do you think?  Would this be a book you would be interested in enough to keep reading?  Don’t forget to link up at Freda’s Voice






About Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, Book 1) by Elizabeth Peters

Set in 1884, this is the first installment in what has become a beloved bestselling series.


At thirty-two, strong-willed Amelia Peabody, a self-proclaimed spinster, decides to use her ample inheritance to indulge her passion, Egyptology. On her way to Egypt, Amelia encounters a young woman named Evelyn Barton-Forbes. The two become fast friends and travel on together, encountering mysteries, missing mummies, and Radcliffe Emerson, a dashing and opinionated archaeologist who doesn't need a woman's help -- or so he thinks. 





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Crocodile on the Sandbank before. It sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to read this series - may have to give it a try soon!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have wanted to read this series. Must check into them!

    My Friday 56 from Bulletproof Badge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing, and I love that cover! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “COMMONWEALTH”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this book before, even added it to my GR list. Supposed to be a fantastic read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to read Peters for years. Your teasers make me want to even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read one other book in the series, and enjoyed it. Been intending to read this first book for years now. Thanks for reminding me! And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maria,

    This is an author who has been on my 'To Read' list for far too long, so I am pleased that you featured the first book in the 'Amelia' series, so that I can get into the storyline right from the beginning.

    Some of the old stories are the best, even though some of the references to aspects of life which have changed so much, are quite cringeworthy. They are all part of the social history and fabric of society and deserve to be preserved and shared.

    Have a great weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I really like the sound of this. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete