Friday, August 12, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #45


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Dead in the Water (Gemini, Book 1) by Hailey Edwards


Seven out-of-state crime scenes in seven months was seven too many.  Every fourth Wednesday dread ballooned in my chest during the short drive from home to the local marshal’s office until I marveled that my ribs didn’t crack under the pressure

My Thoughts:  It’s been a really busy week for me personally and I haven’t had much reading time.  This just happens to be the latest – therefore first on the list – book on my Kindle.  I just downloaded it because I know the author and want to give the series a try.  Clearly this is a person – gender unknown – who is involved in law enforcement and they are seeing a rise in out-of-state work they are not happy with.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Dead in the Water by Hailey Edwards – at 56% on Kindle ): 

The mermaid had to die. 
She pointed a finger at a woman with delicate features and pastel hair.  She ha slender legs, not fins, but Leticia was insistent. “Kill her.  Kill the mermaid.”

My Thoughts:  Well…okay then…not sure why the mermaid has to die – I kinda like mermaids – maybe this one is evil though…lol… 

So what do you think? Move this to the top of the reading list when I get a chance? 





About Dead in the Water (Gemini, Book 1) by Hailey Edwards


Camille Ellis is the Earthen Conclave’s golden girl. Her peculiar talent solves cases with a touch. She isn’t afraid of getting her hands dirty, but every bright star casts a shadow, and her deepest scars lurk just beneath the skin.

A routine consultation goes sideways when a victim’s brother gets involved in the investigation. Riding the edge of grief, the warg will go to any lengths to avenge his sister’s death. Even if it means ensuring Cam’s cooperation at the jaws of his wolf.

When the killer strikes again, Cam is caught between a warg and a hard place. To save the next victim, she must embrace her past. Even if it means dragging her darkest secrets into the light of day. 


Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

11 comments:

  1. Not sure this book would be my cup of tea but I am intrigued about mermaids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the beginning. I'm definitely curious about what's going on with the crime scenes and why it's such a big deal to the narrator. Also, someone is seriously against that mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting excerpts...and now I'm curious. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE TRUTH-TELLER’S LIE”

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me piqued with 'kill the mermaid'. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely read fantasy, so this may not be a book for me. However, I do like the opening and 56 excerpt. Sounds like a good story.
    My Friday post features THE REAL MOTHER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about the mermaids although this isn't my usual fare. Sound$ intriguing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You 56 has me intrigued. I want to know more. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mermaid that solves cases... what? I'm intrigued!!

    Here's mine - Bad Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely has possibilities, Maria. And I LOVE the cover! Thanks for sharing the F56/BBOF love. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds really intriguing - I'll have to look for it!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete