Friday, August 5, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #44


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

The Dead House (Fiona Griffiths, Book 5) by Harry Bingham


October 2014

“Well?”
Bev runs her hands down her hips and gives me a wiggle.


My Thoughts:  This is the newest installment in this series - I'm behind one book so I would need to read it before this one - but this is the one that just downloaded to the kindle for some reason. This doesn’t really tell us a lot other than a general date and that at least one person in the conversation is a woman.



What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from The Dead House by Harry Bingham): 

And I realize something.  This nice, ordinary house.  Its tidy kitchen, its scrap of lawn.  Its apple tree pecked about by birds. I’m here because these two people actually like me. I don’t know why they do but they do.  It’s why they invite me around, why they ply me with tooth-crackingly fierce granola. And the truth is. It’s nice. I like it.

My Thoughts:  This sounds like the house of a real friend – and I’m guessing that whoever she is (I’m pretty sure it’s Fiona) doesn’t have many friends so this is an unusual revelation for her.  


What do you think?  The cover above is the cover for the U.S. edition of the book but the cover directly below this is the U.K. cover – which I personally like better.  Which cover do you like better?   Should I read this or put it back on the pile? Don't forget to link up at Freda's Voice






About The Dead House (Fiona Griffiths, Book 5) by Harry Bingham

Midnight in a country churchyard. A corpse lying at peace.

The dead woman looks totally peaceful and there are no marks of violence.. But why is she here, in this remote spot? Why does no one come forward to identify her? And why is she wearing a thin white dress on this howling October night? 

When Fiona Griffiths starts to investigate, she finds a crime creepier than anything she's been able to imagine. And she's about to become the very next victim. 


This international smash hit murder mystery series is ideal for fans of Stieg Larsson, Gillian Flynn, Tana French ... and for anyone at all who loves their crime noir and their female protagonists strong, brave and smart. 




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

15 comments:

  1. I haven't read many mysteries lately, but this sounds like it could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds like my kind of book. Which is the first in the series? Because I'll have to read them all. Thanks for sharing. Here's my Friday read - The Girls by Emma Cline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for a new mystery. Might be a good series for me:)

    MY Friday 56 from Save The Last Dance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with this series. I'll have to look for the first book to give it a try. I'm featuring a historical mystery this week - These Honored Dead by Jonathan F. Putnam. Abraham Lincoln stars. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she's a ghost..... This sounds like a series I will look into. Thanks for sharing! Here's my Friday Meets:http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-05-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely prefer the UK version which is frequently the case. This sounds interesting. THe beginning didn't really grab me but I really liked the 56. Hope you enjoy catching up on the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quite intrigued by that 56. They get enticed by granola?? Must be some good stuff! LOL Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a series I'd enjoy. I like "tooth-crackingly fierce granola." What a great description!
    My Friday post features STEALING JASON WILDE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sound of this one. I'll have to check out the series. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might have downloaded this one for my Kindle this week. I did download the title "The Dead House." I will have to see if this person is the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria,

    I love a good detective mystery, so whilst I would ordinarily not be grabbed by those opening lines, I would still definitely keep on reading.

    I am notoriously bad at reading 'series' books and I note that you have read some of the earlier stories in the series, so how do you think they would work as stand alones? or do I need to start following right back from the beginning?

    In this instance I think that cover artists on both sides of the Atlantic have done a great job and I really can't pick a favourite from between the two.

    Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy when it reaches the top of your pile :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like mysteries yet I am not sure about this one. The cover is a bit eerie for my taste and I scare easily. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm, I would not be that trustful of those people who seem to like her, lol. deliciously creepy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this series, but it sounds like it could be good.

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings) and my TTT.

    ReplyDelete