Friday, August 19, 2016

Book Beginning & Friday 56 - #46


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  


Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, Book 1) by Benedict and Nancy Freedman


The worst winter in fifty years, the old Scotsman had told me. I’d only been around for sixteen, but it was the worst I’d seen and I was willing to take his wor for the other thirty four.  On the north side of the train the windows were plastered with snow, and on the south side great clouds of snow were whipped along by a sixty-mile gale.
My Thoughts:  A long time ago, when I was a kid , my paternal grandmother had a subscription to Reader’s Digest Condensed Books and Mrs. Mike was one of the stories I read – I rediscovered this on Amazon a couple of years ago – only in its full and newly updated  – non-condensed form and picked it up.  I’m determined to read it this weekend as soon as I finish books I need to post reviews for.  I like the beginning – I feel it’s very descriptive and unfortunately very cold wherever she is….lol

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freeman at 56% on Kindle): 

We were two days out when Florence, my youngest sister, sickened.  My father insisted it was the food, but it was smallpox.  When she died, the captain slipped her body overboard quietly at night so the crew wouldn’t know.  We were forced to keep in our quarters.  Food was left at the door for us.  The hands were told we were quarantined for measles. 


My Thoughts:  I am so thankful that I was born in the country I live in…..lol…I don’t know if I would have cut it as “pioneer” stock – but then we never know what we are capable of until we are placed in that position. 

So what do you think? Would you be interested in reading this? Don't forget to link up at Freda's Voice


About Mrs. Mike (Mrs Mike, Book 1) by Benedict and Nancy Freeman

'Mrs. Mike' is a love story, a true story; the story of Katherine Mary O’Fallon, a sixteen year-old Irish girl from Boston, and Sergeant Mike Flannigan of the Canadian Mounted Police who meet at her uncle’s ranch in Alberta, Canada where she is sent to recover from pleurisy. They meet, they court, they marry and, following Mike’s orders, move to Hudson’s Hope far into the interior of Alberta.


But it is more than a love story between two people: it is also a love story of the land and animals, of the beavers and the ice, the northern lights and the fires, of whooping cough and whiskey running. It is a love story of the First Peoples and their struggles, the immigrants and their hopes and all the people who came and went through Mike and Kathy’s lives.
Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before, but it does sound pretty interesting. Enjoy the book once you get to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds excellent. I think I'd enjoy it. Here's my Friday read -Wastedby Mark Winkler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom had a copy of this one on her bookshelves. I remember reading it as a teenager. This week I am spotlighting The Crepes of Wrath by Sarah Fox. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read The Reader's Digest. This sounds really good.

    My Friday 56 from Pandemic

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fascinating saga that I'd enjoy reading. We tend to forget how rough life was in the past. The opening is perfect for a hot August day!
    My Friday post features CHASING CHARLIE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued. Sounds like an emotional read for the most part. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The classics stays the best. Hope it is as wonderful as you remember from when you were young. And it's a true story! How marvelous. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/friday-meets-19-august-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks familiar, and I suspect that I might have read it many years ago. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the opening, it paints a wonderful picture and helps me forget it is already a 100 degrees here. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been interested in this series--thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete