Friday, February 12, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #19


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader . Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Death’s Rival (Jane Yellowrock, Book 5) by Faith Hunter

“Vamps don’t get sick,” I said. “They may go nuts at the least provocation, but they don’t get sick.” Air currents buffeted the small jet; I held on to the phone and the seat arm with white-knuckled grips.  Inside me Beast was purring, enjoying the ride entirely too much for a creature who used to be afraid of flying. 

My Thoughts:  I can just see both Jane and “Beasts” expressions in this scene.  I’ve actually finished this book and loved it.  I’ve already moved onto the next book in the series and can’t wait to find out what happens next.    

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader .  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice .  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Death’s Rival by Faith Hunter_

     My hackles rose.  The Car that brought me, and was also the fastest way outta here, drove off, tires abrading on cement.  I stepped to the right of the windowed door wall at my back.  I pulled the M4 and the Walther that was loaded with silver. 


My Thoughts:  Poor Jane just can’t catch a break – so far she’s had nothing but trouble on this trip and she just barely survived an assassination attempt enroute to the airport and now it seems like the airport isn’t safe either.     


About Death’s Rival (Jane Yellowrock, Book 5) by Faith Hunter

Jane Yellowrock is a shapeshifting skinwalker you don’t want to cross—especially if you’re one of the undead…

For a vampire killer like Jane, having Leo Pellisier as a boss took some getting used to. But now, someone is out to take his place as Master Vampire of the city of New Orleans, and is not afraid to go through Jane to do it. After an attack that’s tantamount to a war declaration, Leo knows his rival is both powerful and vicious, but Leo’s not about to run scared. After all, he has Jane. But then, a plague strikes, one that takes down vampires and makes their masters easy prey.

Now, to uncover the identity of the vamp who wants Leo’s territory, and to find the cause of the vamp-plague, Jane will have to go to extremes…and maybe even to war.





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

13 comments:

  1. This doesn't sound like a book I'd pick for myself but I know plenty of people who would like it. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing this series, Im gonna have to check the library or something for it.

    My Friday:Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a big series. But I really want to read it. Just started a new series so this will have to wait a bit but I will get to it. Definitely something I'd enjoy.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/02/12/the-friday-56-94-night-shift-jill-kismet-1/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an exciting plot, even though I'm not much into vampire/shape shifter/skinwalker stories myself.
    My Friday post features THE HURRICANE SISTERS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy your book and your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scary 56; but the beginning, when mentioning Beast, reminded me of Xmen. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting series! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you love this one...thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the visit - happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Maria,

    It sounds as though you are well into this series and completely addicted to it.

    Whilst it isn't the sort of thing I generally read, I found myself relating quite nicely to those opening lines !

    Enjoy the next book and thanks for sharing :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting beginning! Makes me imagine all kinds of things lol. Enjoy the next one x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love paranormal novels and did't know this series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete