Friday, January 20, 2017

Book Beginnings & #Friday 56 - #66


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Project Elfhome (Elfhome, Book 4.5) by Wen Spencer



Singing Storm of Fire (First Novella) 

Before you ask, no I do not know how I came to be. I can however, discount many of the rumors.                                             My father, Sword Strike - who is the queen's First and thus the moral compass for the entire holy sekasha caste- did not go mad.    
My Thoughts:  This is a fantasy/urban fantasy/science fiction series that I absolutely love and I usually jump on each book as the author releases them (I follow her on Facebook and regularly stalk her website) but I have fallen a bit behind so (3 months) I'm just now getting ready to dive into this and I can't wait to read more of this because I believe this is the first novella that lets us get to know more about one of the main secondary characters childhood and how they became friends/besties with one of the main characters.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Project Elfhome by Wen Spencer – about 56% on Kindle):  

Sword Strike set a guard on Clove to see that the apothecary purchased his herbs and returned safely to the Wind Clan compound. There was no mention of punishment for Clove, which only left Little Horse's fate undecided.  The Wyvern First pointed at him and said simply, "Come". 


My Thoughts:  I'm not sure what's going on at this point but this is dealing with a character I haven't met yet and another one of my favorite secondary characters so I really can't wait to find out more! 


So what do you think? Do either of the teasers tempt you?  Don’t forget to link up at Freda’s Voice and to leave your 56 link below.  




About Project Elfhome (Elfhome, Book 4.5) by Wen Spencer

 Stories exploring the fascinating realm of Elfhome, a world where modern day Pittsburgh has collided with the kingdom of the Elves. A special entry in the the best-selling Romantic Times Sapphire award winning Elfhome series. Contains some of Wen Spencer's best shorter works including gems "Bare Snow Falling on Fairywood," "Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden," "Peace Offering,” and more tales set in the world of best-selling Elfhome series entries Tinker, Wolf Who Rules, Elfhome, and Wood Sprites!

Pittsburgh: a sprawling modern Earth city stranded in the heart of a virgin forest on Elfhome. Sixty thousand humans, twenty thousand black-winged tengu, ten thousand elves, an unknown number of invading oni, four unborn siblings of an elf princess, three dragons, and a pair of nine-year olds geniuses.

For every story written, there's a thousand others not told. Lives interweave. Fates intersect. People change one another, often without realizing the impact they've made on others. They come together like a mosaic, little pieces creating a greater picture.

Project Elfhome tells the stories of those impacted by Tinker and Windwolf as they struggle to make Pittsburgh a safe haven. Some of the characters are familiar: Stormsong, Pony, Blue Sky, and Lain. Others are new to readers.

Law forages for wild plants and fish to sell to elf enclaves. A social misfit, she drives a hundred year old Dodge, has a pet porcupine, and saves damsels in distress in her spare time. A mysterious phone call sets her on a collision course with danger as she races to save a young female elf.

Jane Kryskill is the producer for the popular TV series Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden. She spends her days keeping her host, Hal Rogers, from getting himself killed as he takes on man eating plants. She's not happy when the network drops famed naturalist Nigel Reid and his cameraman in her lap to film Chased by Monsters.

Olivia is sixteen, a runaway wife of a religious cultist, illegal immigrant, and soon to be mother. As Pittsburgh plunges into war, she makes a desperate bargain with the mad elf lord, Forest Moss.

As the war between the elves and the oni builds to a head, these three women struggle with their own problems, supported by a circle of unique friends, yet entangled with each other.

The Elfhome Series
Tinker
Wolf Who Rules
Elfhome
Wood Sprites 




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

7 comments:

  1. While I am not a fantasy or sci-fi fan, I can see how one would be caught up in the adventures, the danger, the endless possibilities. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I['d get into this one. Maybe though. Hope you love it! Happy weekend!
    (I added you to the Linky.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though not a fan of urban fantasy or sci-fi, I can see how this book would be intriguing to YA readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really intrigued by an urban fantasy/fantasy/sci-fi that involves elves and dinosaurs. I'll have to do some digging on this one.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urban fantasy is a new genre for me, but it looks like it might have some really fun possibilities. I'll have to see what some of the YA readers I know think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria,

    Although I have been persuaded by a couple of authors to review fantasy and science fiction stories, both are genres which I seldom read.

    I found the premise of 'The Project Elfhome' series quite confusing and think I worked out that it is indeed a kind of prequel to something else.

    That's just my opinion however and I see that many other people are as eager to follow the series as you are, hence the amazing ratings and reviews the books have received.

    I hope that you enjoy this one as much as all the others and have a good weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete