Friday, January 6, 2017

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #64


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  


Devil Smoke (Beacon Falls, Book 2) by C. J. Lions

Prologue
Fiddler’s Knob, Scotia County, Pennsylvania
363 Days Ago….

CHARLOTTE BIT DOWN on her clenched fist and swallowed back a cry of pain as jagged stones sliced her bare feet.  Quiet.  The night was too quiet.  The silence unforgiving.


My Thoughts: I read and enjoyed the first book in this series, Last Light, in 2016 (here is my review), and I want to read this one before the next book comes out next month.  I’m intrigued by the beginning so far. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Devil Smoke by C.J. Lions - about 56% on kindle):  

TOMMY WASN'T DREAMING, but neither was he awake. He lay in a languid half-state, his body paralyzed while his mind raced. And he wasn't alone.  Charlotte. He felt her heartbeat as she held him in her arms, her breath stirring his hair, her scent filling his lungs. Not a dream.  It had to be real....


My Thoughts:  This is kind of a creepy scene in my opinion. I don't like the fact that he's awake but his body feels paralyzed.  Not sure what's going on but I'm wondering if Charlotte is good or bad?? 


So what do you think?  Do the teasers tempt you?  Don’t forget to leave your link below and at Freda’s Voice.  




About Devil Smoke (Beacon Falls, Book 2) by C. J. Lions


After leaving the FBI, Lucy Guardino still feels like the new kid on the block with her team at Beacon Falls. But then a new case involving a young woman with amnesia searching for her lost memories shines a spotlight on a past case involving one of Lucy's team members.

Dr. Tommy Worth left his job as a pediatrician ER physician to join the Beacon Group after his wife went missing, leaving him to raise their five-year-old daughter alone. Now the press is hounding him on the anniversary of his wife’s disappearance. Distracting himself with the newest case at Beacon Falls fails miserably after the woman he is trying to help becomes the target of an anonymous stalker.

Because, when you can’t even remember who you are, how do you know who to trust? Or who to run from?

DEVIL SMOKE is the eighth Lucy Guardino novel, but they can be read out of order. If you enjoy captivating suspense, intelligent storytelling, strong and vulnerable characters, and a freight-train pace, then you'll love this adrenaline rush of a heart-pounding thriller from "a master of the genre."

Join the millions of readers who've fallen for CJ’s Thrillers with Heart and grab your copy of DEVIL SMOKE today!

Want to read Book #1, SNAKE SKIN for FREE? Sign up for CJ’s Thrillers with Heart newsletter at CJLyons.net and receive a FREE copy of SNAKE SKIN!

Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers in order:
SNAKE SKIN
BLOOD STAINED
KILL ZONE (a Suspense Magazine Best Novel of the Year)
AFTER SHOCK
HARD FALL (Thriller Award Winner)
BAD BREAK: a Lucy Guardino novella

Beacon Falls Mysteries featuring Lucy Guardino:
LAST LIGHT
DEVIL SMOKE
OPEN GRAVE (coming 2/17)



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good suspense story....and I'm wondering what is happening that puts them in the state they are in.

    Here's mine:
    “THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to give this series a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can watch scary movies, but I can't read books that scare me even slightly. I guess because I watch the movie with someone and I read the book alone, and I'm a wuss. I hope you enjoy! I'd love for you and you're readers to check out mine at http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsPGTM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like CJ Lyons stories. This one sounds fast-paced. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love thrillers and this sounds excellent. Thanks for the introduction!

    My Friday 56 from 77 Shadow Street

    ReplyDelete