Friday, November 18, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #59


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Stonehill Downs (Bone Magic, Book 1) by Sarah Remy

Andrew struggled.

Mal held him down. The old man’s skin burned, and sweat turned his mottled flesh
slick, but still he shuddered as if chilled.  Where’s Mal’s long fingers encircled his wrists, bruises blossomed.

My Thoughts:  Not really sure what’s going on so far but I do wonder why Mal is holding Andrew down.



What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Stonehill Downs by Sarah Remy):  

     Usually a crowd put Avani at ease, as the crush of people provided her an opportunity to blend and hide from unwelcome attention, but this eve the milling bodies set her heart racing. 
My Thoughts:  I’m still not really sure what’s going on but unlike Avani, I’m not big on crowds so I would never be comfortable in this setting.  

So what do you think?  Do these teasers make you want to read more? Don’t forget to link up and leave your link below.




About Stonehill Downs (Bone Magic, Book 1) by Sarah Remy

Malachi is the last of his kind—a magus who can communicate with the dead, and who relies on the help of spirits to keep his kingdom safe. When he's sent to investigate brutal murders in the isolated village of Stonehill Downs, he uncovers dangerous sorceries and unleashes a killer who strikes close to home.

Avani is an outsider living on the Downs, one of the few survivors from the Sunken Islands. She has innate magics of her own, and when she discovers the mutilated bodies of the first victims, she enters into a reluctant alliance with Malachi that takes her far from home.


But Mal is distracted by the suspicious death of his mentor and haunted by secrets from his past. And Avani discovers troubling truths about the magus through her visions. She could free Malachi, but first they must work together to save the kingdom from the lethal horror that has arisen.





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

7 comments:

  1. That first quote really takes you right into the action. This sounds like an interesting book - it will be good to see what you think of it! And I am with you - I would never feel comfortable in a crowd like that!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Big crowds send me running in the other direction! I'd love for you and your readers to check out my BB & 56... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsSAI

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning sounds intense and I can definitely relate to the 56. That kind of crowd makes me very stressed. Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure... I need more I think. I hope you enjoy it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening is just alright, but the synopsis seems kind of interesting. Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting! Here is my Friday 56: https://coffeeandcatsblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/18/friday-56-16/

    ReplyDelete