Friday, November 11, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #58


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

A Matter of Temperance ( The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance, Book 1) by Ichabod Temperance

Ichabod
The rumbling purr of an impossibly big cat thrums through my body. Rhythmic vibrations emanate from the titanic engines powering this colossal ship.  Wheels the size of four story buildings mercilessly paddle the Atlantic Ocean into submission. 


My Thoughts:  This doesn’t really tell me a lot – though it does make me wonder exactly what kind of ship this is. 

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.


My 56 (Also from A Matter of Temperance):  

I locate an especially industrious blacksmith. His barn is full of interesting devices that he has constructed. He is shoeing a horse, though, when I arrive. He has a good and gentle way with the animal. I appreciate this as I have a strong connection to animals and find that I like people who like animals.

My Thoughts:  I like this section and completely agree with the narrator – main character “Ichabod’s” feelings about appreciating people who are kind, gentle and like animals. I haven’t actually started this book but hope to dive into it this weekend.


So, what do you think?  Is this a book you would be interested in reading?  






About A Matter of Temperance (The Adventures of Ichabod Temperance, Book 1) by Ichabod Temperance


In a past that never was...


The year is 1869. Earth experiences the close pass of a comet never before seen. In its wake, many of Terra's inhabitants find themselves changed. Among men, prodigies rise in unprecedented numbers, while many ordinary adults suddenly find themselves possessed of preternatural genius. Likewise, non-hominid animals become self-aware and intelligent.

Fast forward to 1875. A young “comet prodigy” from humble beginnings, Ichabod Temperance, has become the world's foremost inventor. He travels to England to deliver his latest brilliant invention to a famous explorer, until Fate intervenes. Meanwhile, a lovely young Bluestocking, Miss Persephone Plumtartt, survives an experimental accident only to find herself imbued with a power she can neither understand nor control, while dark forces and malevolent creatures pursue her, leaving a gruesome wake of death. 

Yet, worse is to come. The naïve young inventor and the lovely intellectual find themselves fighting not only to save their own lives, but to prevent the destruction of all life on Earth.



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

4 comments:

  1. This seems like an interesting book. I hope you enjoy the book once you get to it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. Is is a memoir or a story made to look like a memoir? :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting book- not exactly my type. I hope you enjoy it!

    Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-569548264

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll be adding this to my tbr! :)

    ReplyDelete