Friday, September 2, 2016

Book Beginnings & #Friday 56 - #48


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, Book 6) by Craig Johnson

From Love Among the Ruins – Robert Browning 1885

Oh heart! Oh blood that freezes, blood that burns!
Earth’s returns
For whole centuries of folly, noise and sin!
Shut them in,
With their triumphs and their glories and the rest!
Love is best.

Chapter 1

I tried to get a straight answer from the grandson and granddaughter-in-law as to why their grandfather had been tied with a hundred feet of nylon rope to the rear bumper of the 1968 Oldsmobile Toronado.
My Thoughts:  I literally just started listening to this book on audio as I did this post.  From the sounds of it the grandfather is either going to be dead or in really bad shape and I can’t imagine anyone doing this to a relative much less a grandparent.  I lost both of my grandfathers before I could really appreciate them (one before my birth and the other before my 11th birthday) so this really bums me out.

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Junkyard Dogs – about 56% via Audio version ): 

Chapter 8

When I got back to the office, I saw that Saizarbitoria’s vehicle was backed up to the service entrance.  I’d put him in charge of collecting and then unloading Dewayne’s illegal 4-H project.  “Hey Dewayne”, he looked up from behind the bars of his holding cell as I limped in with the last few plants.  Vic closed the heavy door, took the plants from me, and disappeared. 

My Thoughts:  I’m going to guess that “Dewayne’s” 4-H project was consisted of marijuana plants….lol…and that he wasn’t expecting to get caught!


So what do you think?  Have you had a chance to read or listen to the books or watch the TV series? Don't forget to linkup at Freda's Voice







About Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, Book 6) by Craig Johnson


A missing thumb and dead developers are only the beginning for Sheriff Walt Longmire.  


It's a volatile new economy in Durant, Wyoming, where the owners of a multi-million dollar development of ranchettes want to get rid of the adjacent junk-yard. When a severed thumb is discovered in the yard, conflicts erupt, and Walt Longmire, his trusty companion Dog, life-long friend Henry Standing Bear, and deputies Santiago Saizarbitoria and Victoria Moretti find themselves in a small town that feels more and more like a high plains pressure cooker. 





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

14 comments:

  1. An illegal 4-H project. I am curious to know more. Happy Friday!

    My Friday 56 this week is Starglass.
    https://missdothacker.blogspot.com/2016/09/friday-56-starglass.html?showComment=1472795464896

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, that opening does sound cruel hey. But from your 56 and the book description, I still want to read it! I've seen it somewhere else, but can't remember where. Hope you enjoy it and your weekend too. Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/09/friday-meets-another-one-down-drain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series has become very addictive to me - between the wonderful writing and the narrator's voice - swoon! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. I lost both grandparents, two months apart, right after my 10th birthday so that book beginning bums me out as well :( I don't know if this is a book I will pick up but you never know! Thanks for sharing.

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines
    Friday Meme: MY LADY JANE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is really excellent - the beginning is kind of a bummer because of what they did to the poor grandpa but otherwise an excellent story and the main character - Walt- really is a great lawman who can both apply the law and be compassionate at the same time - hard to describe but I love him...lol

      Delete
  4. I love that Browning poem! Sounds like a great read! Happy Labor day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious about this author's books, as I'm loving the Netflix show Longmire. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “I’VE GOT SAND IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion the books are much better than the tv show and I simply love the tv show - I am doing a marathon of the previous 4 season on Netflix now in preparation for season 5...lol...

      Delete
  6. The opening definitely grabbed me. I hope the car was parked in the driveway and the ropes were used to prevent Grandpa from wandering off! This sounds like a book that could be funny, in a dark-humor kind of way.
    My Friday post features BAREFOOT AT SUNSET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I wish it was that but I'm afraid it's abuse and not taking care of the grandpa - there is some dark humor in the series though - it's really good.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like it could be a good series. Happy listening!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  8. How have I not heard of this author or series before now? This latest in the series has me curious.

    ReplyDelete