Friday, January 22, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #16


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, Book 2) by Faith Hunter


Molly and the kids and I were eating a big lunch when the lightning hit.  The bolt slammed into the ground only feet from the house, throwing brilliant light through the windows, shaking the floor beneath us. 



My Thoughts:  I’m not a huge fan of lightning for this very reason – it’s dangerous around houses and it usually comes with a bunch of thunder and just generally scares me.  I don’t mind a good rainstorm and I do think lightning can be pretty but it’s also very dangerous.    

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Blood Cross by Faith Hunter)


      Bruiser was my best source of all things fangy and I knew I had to give to get, but not this time.  I hated negotiation.  “My source’ – if the NOPD woo-woo files could be described that way – “is confidential.  I want to know what they mean.”
     Thoughts flickered deep in his eyes.  After a moment he cocked his head and seemed to come to a decision. 


My Thoughts:  Jane has secrets, lots of them, and she likes to keep things close to the vest, so to speak, as much as possible.  She’s also pretty good at getting what she wants so this should be interesting.     




About Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, Book 2) by Faith Hunter


Jane Yellowrock is back on the prowl against the children of the night...

The vampire council has hired skinwalker Jane Yellowrock to hunt and kill one of their own who has broken sacred ancient rules — but Jane quickly realizes that in a community that is thousands of years old, loyalties run deep...

With the help of her witch best friend and local vigilantes, Jane finds herself caught between bitter rivalries — and closer than ever to the secret origin of the entire vampire race. But in a city of old grudges and dark magic, Jane will have to fight to protect both sides, even if no one will protect her.



Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday and stay safe this weekend!
Maria

18 comments:

  1. That's a dynamic beginning that makes me want to know how the lightning flash affected the family. I'm not much into vampires or skinwalkers, but this sounds like a book with an exciting plot. I hope you enjoy it!
    My Friday post features THE LIGHT OF HIDDEN FLOWERS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really interesting, I hope you're enjoying it.

    My Friday: Marie @ Pages to Explore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the beginning, thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full marks to the author for drawing me in at the outset. Love it. My Friday Book Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lightning freaks me out. Especially when I have to walk around in it carrying an umbrella made mostly of metal. Hello?!? Walking lightning rod?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not entirely sure this one's for me but the teasers are definitely intriguing! I personally love lightning and thunder, there's something so awe-inspiring about it! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicked cover art! I had that happen once while standing in my doorway. The hair stood up all over my body before it struck. Smelled it too!

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/01/22/the-friday-56-93-the-wolf-gift/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lightning scares me, too....but I do want to know what happens next. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE GOOD LIAR”

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love vampire books and this one grabs you right from the beginning with the lightening. Sounds great! I'll have to look for the first book in the series. Thanks for sharing! Thanks, also, for visiting my Friday post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Maria,

    This definitely isn't one for me, however your excerpts, especially the opening lines, are intriguing and strong. The cover art is also very powerful, so I am hoping that all three of those elements together, make this a compelling story.

    I'm not a huge fan of thunder and lightning, especially after one of our friends was hit by lightning, physically lifted off his feet and thrown into the builders skip on his drive!

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing 56 and scary beginning... sounds good!! I like that bad-ass cover too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of this particular author before. It sounds like a cool book. I'm going to have to check into it. Thanks for sharing with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like quite the adventure. I do like the fact that it's exploring the origin of vampires, I don't think we often see that. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, intense cover art and high energy snippet. Great post! Thanks for sharing with us and you are not alone when it comes to a scary, powerful thunder/lightning show.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just discovered this series this past summer while digging into my own TBR mountain. I read the first two and have the next two on my Kindle waiting for a break in my reviewing schedule. Thanks for visiting my blogs. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're one step better than me. I don't think it's pretty. It is a good beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can we not talk about lightning? I'm not sure I'd pick this up based on the cover but the beginning sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete