Friday, January 15, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #15


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter



I wheeled my bike down Decatur Street into the French Quarter, the bike's engine purring.  My shotgun, a Benelli M4 Super 90, was slung over my back and loaded for vamp with hand-packed silver
flechette rounds.


My Thoughts:  I started reading this series years ago - when it first came out and then I got busy and distracted and I recently realized that I've been buying the books but not reading them so I am starting over just for fun.  I like the beginning because of how fearless she appears to be.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Skinwalker by Faith Hunter ): 

The Lord of the Manor

I stood just inside the front door, the window where the rogue entered to my left. A trail of blood splatters marked the wall from the window for six feet, evidence that he’d wounded himself badly on the glass. It was the kind of splatter arterial blood makes, pulsing sprays, arcs that dribbled down the wall. Ten feet inside the door was a blood-drenched leather recliner where a man had once sat. His body had molded the chair to his form; now blood pooled in the depression. It still looked damp, tacky to the touch. There were two slippers on the floor under the foot-rest, which was up, the back of the chair pushed nearly flat, facing the TV.


My Thoughts:  Clearly this was a complete and total bloodbath.  Something very bad went down here and Jane is on the hunt.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your 56 below and to link-up at Freda’s Voice. 


About Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter


First in a brand new series from the author of the rogue mage novels

 A year ago Jane nearly lost her life taking down an entire blood family of deadly rogue vampires that preyed on the helpless local populace of an Appalachian town. Now, after months of recuperation, she’s back and ready to fight again. Except this time, she’s hired by those she’s trained to kill—vampires… Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind—a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. Back from hiatus, she’s hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katies’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who’s killing other vamps. Amidst a bordello full of real “ladies of the night,” and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission—or else the next skin she’ll need to save just may be her own…





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

15 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this series before but I like the sound of it. I'm definitely going to add this book to my goodreads TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known a few people who've really enjoyed the series. Hope you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series makes me think of early Anita Blake. I'm also trying to read through my existing bookshelves this year. The problem is, when I read a good book, I want to read the author's other books... So I'm not sure if my plan of buying less books this year will work out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean - I'm trying not to buy any new books but it's like a disease and not one that I seem to have any power against...lol

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of the setting in the French Quarter...and the crime scene description was vivid.

    But then the mention of vampires startled me...well, probably not for me. LOL. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the beginning, not too sure about the bloodbath though. I hope you enjoy it!! My Friday post
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/01/friday-56_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to read this series!

    Stormi
    Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series is new to me but sounds interesting and definitely outside of what I usually read. I definitely agree that something very bad happened in the 56!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an exciting read. I like the New Orleans setting too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! A fearless woman! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started this series this past summer because it had been sitting on my TBR stack since 2008. I enjoyed the first two books and have the next two on my Kindle waiting until I have time to read my own books again. My book this week is Unholy Blue by Darby Kaye. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! This sounds and looks wicked good. I love a kick butt female protagonist too!

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/01/15/the-friday-56-92-dead-things/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree that the rereading of the start of a series is a good idea, and this seems like a popular choice. Happy reading, thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you successfully finish the series this time. I often will start series and never finish them for a variety of reasons and not because I don't like them.
    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete