Welcome to my stop on author Joyce Proell’s Blog Tour for A Burning Truth, presented by Book Promotions by Literary Nook, from February 17 – March 7, 2014. Please leave a comment or question for Joyce to let her know you stopped by. You can enter her tour wide giveaway by filling out the Rafflecopter form below. My review for A Deadly Truth, the first book in the Cady Delafield series will post this morning. My review for A Burning Truth will follow shortly. You can follow the rest of the tour here.
Signs You Might Be a Writer by Joyce Proell
Hi! I’m so excited to be celebrating the release of A Burning Truth, the second book in the ‘Truth’ series with you. The story begins only weeks after A Deadly Truth ends. Like the fly on the wall, we get to gleefully watch as things heat up between Cady and Doyle. Can Cady overcome her doubts and regain her confidence? Will they ever make it to the altar? Hmmm, guess you’ll have to read it and find out.
But first…a little about me…
I didn’t start writing until I was forty-six. It took my husband’s suggestion to pen a book to get me going. Writing was something I’d never considered. Yet, as I reflect on my life, certain quirky indicators were present. Many writers possess these quirks. Maybe you do too. Since people frequently ask me how I knew I wanted to write, I made a list of these quirks. Perhaps you can identify with some of the signs.
- After watching an episode of your favorite TV series, you re-write a new ending in your head.
- In a long queue at the airport or at a major sporting event you spot an interesting stranger in the crowd that stirs a plethora of questions. You then invent answers to those questions developing a complete character profile including, but not limited to background, love interests, personality traits, occupation, hobbies, and whatever else your imagination creates.
- While alone in your car or walking a long stretch of road listening to music a vivid setting emerges. In your mind, you’re there, in an airplane, on stage, on the dance floor, in the boardroom or seated on a park bench with a stranger. A conversation begins and suddenly, you’re in a scene.
- You fall in love with the sound of a word and it rolls around in your head for a day or two. Mentally, you add it to your ‘favorite word’ list.
- Similes and metaphors pop up frequently in your conversation.
- You reflect back on college and realize the best class ever was Creative Writing.
- You’re introduced to a stranger and you learn she’s a script writer for a popular television soap opera. You croon with envy and really mean it when you say, “I want to do that!”
- You keep a journal, but the journal isn’t so much about you. Your journal will have little scenes you’ve concocted; memorable lines copied from favorite books, snippets of original poetry, and a list of unique names you hope to use in a story someday.
If you recognize any of these signs, know you aren’t crazy. Instead, you have a writer lurking inside. Now all you have to do is sit down and start to write.
Thanks for joining in me in the release celebration A Burning Truth.
A Burning TruthBy Joyce ProellCady Delafield, Book 2Publisher: Champagne BooksRelease Date: February 1, 2014Genre: Historical Romance/MysteryLength: 269 PagesISBN: 978-1-771550-51-2ASIN: B00I7E42BYAbout the book:There’s no shortage of deadly deeds in 1881 Chicago as school administrator Cady Delafield and entrepreneur Doyle Flanagan plan their wedding. When one of Doyle’s workers is brutally killed he must use his considerable power to stop a mysterious enemy bent on destroying his reputation and business empire. But as Cady and Doyle struggle to keep their marriage on track, the murder victims might not be the only casualties.
“Why, it’s outrageous!” Cady Delafield said with a laugh.
In the soft glow of the carriage lantern, she glittered in the familiar way which delighted Doyle to his very core. He’d missed seeing her bright smiles and playful attitude absent these past few weeks.
“It’s almost midnight,” she added and crimped her mouth in mock disapproval, but failed to mask her teasing. “Surely, Mr. Flanagan, you aren’t serious about traipsing about in a lumber yard near the docks at this time of night?”
“It’ll only take a minute.” Happiness strummed through his body with each hopeful sign of her recovery from the recent tragic events. She was plucky, determined and stubborn. But the death of three women and seeing a man blow his head off left a person altered. He knew this for a fact. He’d watched the man pull the trigger too.
“Besides.” He dropped a hand over his chest affecting a bit of melodrama. “Aren’t you the least bit curious to see where the master potentate, the supreme leader, the Great Poohbah—”
“Oh, please.” She thrust up a palm forestalling any more joking. “Great Poohbah, indeed!”
BIO and CONTACT LINKS
Joyce grew up in Minnesota and attended college and grad school in Chicago. After working in mental health, she retired at a young age to write full-time. Her first book, Eliza, was published in 2012. A Burning Truth is the second in the Cady Delafield series. When she isn’t writing mysteries or historical romances, she loves to travel, walk, read, and do crossword puzzles. She and her husband make their home in rural Minnesota in her very own little house on the prairie.