Friday, June 16, 2017

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - # 84


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

The Emperor’s Knife ( Tower & Knife Trilogy, Book 1) by Mazarkis Williams



Prologue

Hands found Sarmin through the confusion of his dreams and the tangle of his sheets.  
My Thoughts:  Sort of a strange beginning but intriguing non-the-less.  Makes me want to know whose hands have found him.   

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from The Emporer's Knife by Mazarkis Williams– about 56% on Nook):  

Amalya's bandages hung loose from her hand.  Eyul smiled to himself; she was too fastidious to show dishevelment when awake.  He sat up and reached for her pack, where she kept the fresh bandages, and cradled the clean fabric in his lap as he pulled the dirty linen away. Tossing it aside, he lifted her arm and prepared to wrap it up once more. 


My Thoughts:  I haven’t gotten this far into the book but I like the fact that he is willing to take care of her while she's injured and obviously asleep.  J


So what do you think?  Do the teasers tempt you?  Don’t forget to link up.  




About The Emperor’s Knife ( Tower & Knife Trilogy, Book 1)
by Mazarkis Williams

There is a cancer at the heart of the mighty Cerani Empire: a plague that marks each victim with a fragment of a greater design. Geometric patterns spread across the skin, until the victim dies in agony or becomes a Carrier, doing the bidding of an evil intelligence.

The lost prince Sarmin, the emperor's only surviving brother, lies locked in a hidden room. As the pattern draws closer to the palace he is at last remembered: now he awaits a bride, Mesema, a Windreader from the northern plains. She is accustomed to riding free across the grasslands and finds the Imperial Court stifling, but she soon realizes the politicking is not a game. It is in deadly earnest.

Eyul, the imperial assassin, is burdened by the atrocities he has committed. As commanded, he bears the emperor's Knife to the desert in search of a cure for the pattern-markings.

As long-planned conspiracies boil over into open violence, the enemy moves towards victory. Now only three people stand in his way: a lost prince, a world-weary killer, and a young girl from the steppes who saw a path in a pattern once, among the waving grasses.




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

11 comments:

  1. This looks like a pretty interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good fantasy series. I'll be eager to see your review. I have a historical mystery with ghosts from my TBR mountain this week - Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lynn Moyer. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like my kind of read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing. Happy reading!

    -eli @ the (book) supplier
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 56 is really sweet though not in a typical way. The beginning is creepy! No hands need to be reaching towards me in my sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! Looking forward to your review :)Here's my Friday Post Inspiration Pie
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the sound of this from the opening and teaser you shared. It's been too long since I read a novel like this. (Love the cover!) Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a feeling the hands reaching for them are to help not harm. I'd keep reading this.

    My Friday 56 from The Nutting Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely adding this one to my tbr! Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete