Friday, July 29, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #43


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Wicked by Joanne Fluke


Prologue

Summer 1995

It was over a hundred degrees in the shade, and Eve Carrington was too hot even to smile at the handsome truck driver who pulled up beside her at the stoplight.
My Thoughts:  I totally get this – it’s been so freaking hot in the St. Louis area this summer and extremely humid.  When you work up a sweat just walking to the mail box and literally want to shave all the hair off the top of your head – it’s too hot to enjoy!

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from Wicked by Joanne Fluke at 56% on Kindle): 

     “I know what you’re doing, Scott.” Eve confronted him.  “You’re going to write about this whole thing and try to sell it.  You figure it will jump start your career. Am I right?”
     
My Thoughts:  From the sound of this, it sounds like Eve and Scott, whoever he is, are headed towards a difference of opinion about something that’s been going on….this could be very interesting.


So what do you think?  Keep reading?  Don’t forget to link up at Freda’s Voice




About Wicked by Joanne Fluke

A Killer Rivalry. . .

When Eve Carrington is chosen to participate in an exclusive writer’s workshop, she knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. For one month, she will live, write, and share her work with nine other aspiring authors. The top three will get a chance to be published. But when the building they're staying in isn't ready and Eve sees the old mansion they'll be moved into, she starts having second thoughts. Not only is the mansion isolated but the deadlines are tight, the pressure intense, and the competition incredibly fierce. Her biggest rival, Angela, is writing a murder mystery based on the workshop and its participants. It's a brilliant idea. Until life begins to imitate art--and death begins to knock out the competition . . .






Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

8 comments:

  1. Definitely sounds like one I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh oooh - TBR!! Sounds so good. Hope you enjoy it! Here's my Friday Meets: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/07/friday-meets-end-of-month-salticrax.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, we're both reading Fluke. 😊
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike and all of that...lol

      Delete
  4. I like the sound of this one. Hope you get a break in your weather soon--It's hot and humid here in NYC too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound good. The weather where I live is chilly, but the sun is out - perfect for reading. I'm loving it. Sorry you are so hot there. Stay indoors and read! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maria,

    This book sounds right up my street, however the ratings and reviews have been very mixed to say the least, so I imagine it is either going to be one you love or hate.

    The whole premise also sounded quite familiar and after a lot of headd scratching I realised that it is like a moder remake of the the Agatha Christie story 'And Then There Were None'.

    I hope that you enjoy it and I shall await your rating with interest :)

    Try and stay cool, I couldn't survive in those sorts of temperatures, I'm much more of a spring and autumn girl myself. Luckily, here in the UK, anything over 90 degrees is an extreme rarity and even then you'll find me moaning and complaining!

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy this author. I would definitely keep reading. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete