Friday, May 20, 2016

Book Beginnings & Friday 56 - #33


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs Mysteries, Book 3) by Elizabeth Hunter


Allie Smith took a deep breath and closed her eyes, trying to contain the temper threatening to burst through her calm façade.  She glanced down at the plunger sitting in the clogged toilet and tried to decipher the legal gibberish of her lawyer who was on the phone.


My Thoughts:  Lol…as if dealing with a clogged toilet isn’t bad enough then throw in legal gibberish and your day really has gone down the drain.  I can totally sympathize with her and how she’s feeling.    



What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 is from the Kindle Version - 56% of Waking Hearts by Eliabeth Hunter

     He didn’t interfere when she cleaned the kitchen or did laundry, but he protested if she tried to do any housekeeping, complaining she was taking Vicky’s work.  They still couldn’t agree about bills.  But he was as affectionate and steady with the kids as he’d always been, even if the looks he gave Allie went far beyond affectionate. 

My Thoughts:  I’ll be honest – I would not complain about someone helping me with the housework…lol…also sounds like there’s a possibility of a romance heating up!    



About Waking Hearts (Cambio Springs Mysteries, Book 3)
by Elizabeth Hunter


When everything you’ve longed for is standing right in front of you, would you find the courage to chase it when you’ve given up on dreams?

Fox shifter Alison Smith gave up on happy endings when her ex-husband walked out, but that didn’t mean she was allowed to give up on happy. With four growing kids, Allie is determined to look on the bright side and carry on, even when life seems to keep kicking the girl who’s fallen down.

Four kids, two jobs, and a pile of debt left over from her ex seem overwhelming most days. Luckily, Allie has the best friends a girl could ask for. Especially a certain quiet bear who’s always been her rock.

Patient. Oliver Campbell knows what it means to be patient. But twenty years of wanting one unavailable woman may have pushed him to the edge. With Allie working every night at his bar, their friendship has begun to fracture.

Then old ghosts offer one more kick to the little family that’s already down, and patience is a virtue Ollie can no longer afford. Allie’s ex-husband may be gone, but his actions are haunting his family. With danger licking the borders of Cambio Springs, the bear and the fox will have to work together. And twenty years of unspoken truths may finally come to light.

WAKING HEARTS is the third paranormal romance novel in the Cambio Springs Mysteries seri
es.





Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

18 comments:

  1. The opening makes me already feel empathy for Allie. Sounds like things aren't going her way! However, I've never been able to get into shifter stories. Maybe I just haven't read the right ones.
    My Friday post features THE LIE THAT TELLS A TRUTH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waking Hearts has a little Cinderella vibe to it -- I like it. Also your teasers make me want to know more, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to know more about it, sounds good.
    I added you to the Linky! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to know more, too. Especially about this romance heating up. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A clogged toilet in a first line? Some people have no taste. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that clogged toilet made me feel her frustration...especially when combined with legal hassles.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria,

    Sorry! This just isn't a genre I enjoy, but of course I hope that the series is a good one for you :)

    The first lines are brilliant though. The idea of trying to hold a sensible conversation with a lawyer, whilst having your hand stuck down the toilet, doesn't bear thinking about :)

    Enjoy your weekend and thanks for sharing.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good book! I feel bad for Allie, sounds like she's got a lot on her plate! Hope you're enjoying this book! Thanks for visiting my blog! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both snippetes are intriguing, Maria, but paranormal stuff is something I avoid. I hope you enjoy this series, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good beginning with the phone call and the clogged toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paranormal romance?? Gosh I really am a newbie here. Hope you have a lovely week and enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clogged toilets and lawyers...both something that stresses me out! Can't imagine dealing with both at the same time. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's quite the opening to a novel! It definitely makes me want to read more though to see how the character deals with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book sounds interesting. The clogged toliet in the beginning. Sounds like a fun read. Happy reading. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh...I had to deal with a clogged toilet at work the other day and I felt exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete