Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Beginnings & #Friday 56 - #32


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

The Last Good Girl (Anna Curtis, Book 5) by Allison Leotta

     The guy had beautiful white teeth and a dimple that appeared when she made him laugh, but all Emily could think was, College is where romance goes to die.  They stood on prime real estate, belly-up to the bar at Lucky’s, pressed together by the swell of bodies around them.


My Thoughts:  I hate to say it but it always seems like trouble finds young college women in bars…lol.  The young man does sound handsome but you know what they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.  

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 is also from The Last Good Girl (Anna Curtis, Book 5) by Allison Leotta at 56% of kindle version: 


     “It wouldn’t be the first frat to have a stash of illicit bones.  The descendants of Geronimo, the Native American chief, sued Yale’s Skull and Bones fraternity in 2011.  They claimed that Prescott Bush – George W.’s grandfather – dug up Geronimo’s remains and hid them in that frat house back in 1918.”

My Thoughts:  I would not be surprised if illicit bones are located in all frat homes.  Fraternities don’t have a good history for law abiding behavior and in the past we seem to have had a “boys will be boys” attitude towards their behavior.  I have read the previous books in this series and I’m really looking forward to reading this installment, the newest, which just released on May 3, 2016. 


So what are your thoughts?  Interesting or not so much?  Don’t forget to leave your link below and linkup at Freda’s Voice






About The Last Good Girl (Anna Curtis, Book 5) by Allison Leotta

From Allison Leotta, the “highly entertaining storyteller” (George Pelecanos) who writes “in a style that’s as real as it gets” (USA TODAY), a ripped-from-the-headlines novel featuring prosecutor Anna Curtis at the center of a national story involving campus rape and the disappearance of a young woman.


It was her word against his...until she disappeared. 


Emily Shapiro has gone missing. A freshman at a Michigan university, Emily was last seen leaving a bar near Beta Psi, a prestigious and secretive fraternity. The main suspect is Dylan Highsmith, the son of one of the most powerful politicians in the state. At first, the only clue is pieced-together surveil­lance footage of Emily leaving the bar that night...and Dylan running down the street after her.



When prosecutor Anna Curtis discovers a video diary Emily kept during her first few months at college, it exposes the history Emily had with Dylan: she accused him of rape before disappearing. Anna is horrified to discover that Dylan’s frat is known on campus as the “rape factory.”



The case soon gets media attention and support from Title IX activists across the country, but Anna’s investigation hits a wall. Anna has to find something, anything she can use to discover Emily alive. But without a body or any physical evidence, she’s under threat from people who tell her to stop before she ruins the name of an innocent young man.



Inspired by real-life stories, The Last Good Girl shines a light on campus rape and the powerful emotional dynamics that affect the families of the men and women on both sides.






Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

10 comments:

  1. How fascinating. I will get a copy of this one. When I read your excerpts, I was thinking "It would be so interesting if this book was about campus rape". Thanks for sharing. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not exactly my kind of book, but I hope you enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series before but it looks like a good one. I'll have to check it out. I like the excerpt about the bones in a macabre way! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this series but it sounds like one I'd enjoy. This week I am spotlighting Midnight Marked by Chloe Neill. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that sentiment about college killing romance. Sounds like a wonderful read.

    My Friday 56 from Rebel Belle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right in your thoughts. Whenever a collage woman going to a bar on TV or in the movies, it never ends well. I'd love for your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsMIIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being Native, the 56 irked me some, though I'm glad they sued. What a travesty to dig up someones' bones though. Sounds like a fascinating read. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one's bones should be disrespected that way and let's be honest - our relationship with the natives in the US has not be good because of our government, and it's people, not keeping their word.

      Delete
  8. This one is new to me, but I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard about this one. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete