Friday, March 22, 2013

Book Beginnings & Friday 56- March 22, 2013


Book Beginnings is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To play along, please do the following:


  1. Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. 
  2. Make sure to share the name of the book and the author so we know what you're reading. 
  3. Feel free to share your first impressions with us based on the first line. 
  4. Link your post at Rose City Reader, or if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments below.


The book I'm reading right now is Rogue Oracle by Alayna Williams



Prologue

He'd do anything to hear those voices again.
Galen's head was too silent.  The other voices in his skull had drained away, leaving him alone.


My Thoughts - yep, this guy is nuts.....lol




The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. To play along:


Grab the book closest to you, any book will do.
Turn to page 56.
Choose the fifth (5th) sentence or a few more (just don't spoil it too much).
Post it on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, post it in the comments below.
Link your post to Freda's Voice.

I'm using the same book for my Friday 56 
Rogue Oracle by Alayna Williams




I'm guessing this is around page 56 because I'm using my Kindle and there are no page numbers ....sigh

A framed picture beside it showed Harry and his adoptive father, Martin, holding fishing poles.  On the mirror above the dresser was tacked a scrap of paper.  Tara reached for it and her heart skipped.  It was a Tarot card, Strength.

My thoughts - not sure what this signifies for Harry and Tara's relationship.




About Rogue Oracle:

THE MORE YOU KNOW ABOUT THE FUTURE, THE MORE THERE MAY BE TO FEAR.

Tara Sheridan is the best criminal profiler around—and the most unconventional. Trained as a forensic psychologist, Tara also specializes in Tarot card reading. But she doesn’t need her divination skills to realize that the new assignment from her friend and sometime lover, Agent Harry Li, is a dangerous proposition in every way.

Former Cold War operatives, all linked to a top-secret operation tracking the disposal of nuclear weapons in Russia, are disappearing. There are no bodies, and no clues to their whereabouts. Harry suspects a conspiracy to sell arms to the highest bidder. The cards—and Tara’s increasingly ominous dreams—suggest something darker. Even as Tara sorts through her feelings for Harry and her fractured relationship with the mysterious order known as Delphi’s Daughters, a killer is growing more ruthless by the day. And a nightmare that began decades ago in Chernobyl will reach a terrifying endgame that not even Tara could have foreseen. . . .


Please play along and if you decide to follow my blog, let me know and I'll return the favor.

8 comments:

  1. Quite a mixture of intrigue, politics, and magic. Seems an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now curious about the book. Thanks for sharing....and enjoy!

    Here's
    MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious how the tarot cards come into play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria,

    I wondered whether Galen is being controlled by someone, who is giving him something to make him hear voices, so that he does exactly what those voices order him to do!! (Perhaps that's a bit too 'conspiracy theory')

    I also couldn't understand where the tarot cards might fit in, so I decided just to bite the bullet and read the full synopsis.

    The idea of a tarot reading criminal profiler seems a bit far fetched to me, but the premise for the story is certainly intriguing. I noticed that this was book 2 in a series, so I am wondering if this works as a stand alone story, or if I would need to read book 1 first?

    I hope that you are enjoying it anyway and thanks for an interesting post.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,

      This is a series where I would recommend reading the first book and then this book. The Tarot Card thing seemed far fetched to me - especially in this day and age when we've gotten so far away from the old "soothsayers" of the past but for some reason it works - and works well in this series. There are quite a few different ways to approach cartomancy and I found the method the character used in this book interesting and different.

      Delete
  5. This sounds really interesting, I like that the main character is a criminal profiler... I think I'll go add the first one to my TBR now.
    My 56

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there is a lot to figure out in this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creepy opening lines! Thanks for joining me on Book Beginnings!

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete