Friday, December 29, 2017

Book Beginning & Friday 56 - #96


Book Beginnings on Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book we’re currently reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.


My Book Beginning:  

The Winter Garden: A Daisy Dalrymple  Mystery (Book 2) by Carola Dunn



Prologue

The night was mild for the time of year.  The half-moon-shinning at intervals between drifting clouds-provided all the light needed.  
My Thoughts: I started reading this series right before Christmas and so far I'm hooked.  I like the beginning because you know it's just the kind of night when something is going to happen to someone ....something bad.....

What do you think?  Don't forget to leave your book beginning below and to link-up at Rose City Reader.  





**************


Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda’s Voice on every Friday.

To Play along here are the Rules:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it)
*Post it.
*Add your post below. 
*Don’t forget to add your post URL (not your blog url) at Freda’s Voice.  
*It's that simple.

My 56 (Also from The Winter Garden by Carola Dunn – about 56% on Kindle):  

“But what is your role in this, Miss Dalrymple? You are a guest at Occles Hall.  What do you know of this wretched business?”


My Thoughts:  I've actually read past this part already and it's pretty good.  I'm really enjoying the book so far.  


So, what do you think?  Do the teasers tempt you to try the book? What about the cover, does it intrigue you?  Don’t forget to leave the link to your Friday 56 below and to link up at Freda’s Voice.  




About The Winter Garden: A Daisy Dalyrimple Mystery (Book 2)
by Carola Dunn

In England, 1923, the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple has made a decision that, while shocking to her class, is in perfect keeping with the spirit of the times. Rather than live with relatives until she marries, she has undertaken to earn her own living with her writing. Her series of articles on country manor houses has proven popular with the readers of Town and Country and in February she travels to Occles Hall to research her latest piece.


What she finds there is a household under the thumb of the ill-tempered and demanding Lady Valeria. The discovery of the body of a pregnant maid buried in the winter garden does nothing to improve Lady Valeria's mood. When the local constabulary arrests the Welsh under-gardener who had been involved with the maid for the murder, Daisy is sure of his innocence and suspects that the whole affair is consciously being swept under the carpet. Wary of the air of secrecy that permeates Occles hall and determined to prove the innocence of the young Welshman, Daisy convinces Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard to investigate the murder--a murder that is more complex and horrifying than either could have imagined.




Don't forget to post your meme's and link up at both host locations.  

Have a great Friday! 
Maria

8 comments:

  1. This one sounds like a great historical mystery. This week I have Dragon Blood by Eileen Wilks - the latest in her urban fantasy series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the book opening. Yes, something bad is going to happen. Nice cover, too!

    Have a happy NEW YEAR and a great time New Year's Eve! :) Best wishes for 2018!

    Here's my choice for this week: http://bit.ly/2EbSyv5
    Luv Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this era, and the excerpts drew me right in. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this at the library and if I hadn't already had an armload of books, I would have grabbed it. Definitely next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued to know what wretched business they are in. :-) Wishing you the best for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this come through the library - sounds like it has potential! I might have to give this series a second look. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete