- Share the first line (or two or three ) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments.
- Make sure to share the name of the book and the author so we know what you're reading.
- Feel free to share your first impressions with us based on the first line.
- Link your post at Rose City Reader, or if you don't have a blog, leave it in the comments below.
The book that just happens to be on top of my desk is Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires #6) by Chloe Neill. It begins thus:
It shone like a beacon. More than a thousand feet of skyscraper, the lights at the top of the antennas blinking through the darkness that blanketed the city.
My thoughts: This does not sound like Iowa.....lol
The Friday 56 is a weekly meme hosted by Freda at Freda's Voice. To play along:
- Grab the book closest to you, any book will do.
- Turn to page 56.
- Choose the fifth (5th) sentence, or a few more (just don't spoil it too much).
- Post it on your blog, or if you don't have a blog, post it in the comments below.
- Link your post to Freda's Voice.
The gnome dropped his eyes and dropped his shoulders dramatically. "You're here to help take care of the witch. We're here to help take care of the witch. And the witch is clearly brewing something up, so we need to take our positions and prepare to kick her ass".
My thoughts: I'm liking this gnome already - he's smart and has a sense of sarcasm tinged with reality that I like.
About Biting Cold:
And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans orinhumans.
Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed.
No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.
So what are you Friday Book Beginnings and Friday 56? Please play along and if you decide to follow my blog, let me know in the comments and I'll return the favor.